2008-02-03

I'm glad I don't live in Mississippi.

Apparently that state has legislation on the table that would prevent folks with a BMI over 30 (this means me, too) from getting into any restaurant. Says the post at Shapely Prose:
Unless you were living under a rock or had something better to do than read fat blogs yesterday, you already know about the absurd piece of stunt legislation being proposed in Mississippi, which would require (not allow; require) restaurants to deny service to fat people. (Here’s JoGeek, The Rotund, Big Fat Blog, Lindsay, Rachel, Thoughtracer… did I miss anyone?) Of course this is a farcical suggestion, especially as they propose sending restaurants written material on determining whether someone is too fat to eat in public. Presumably this means “advanced eyeballing notes,” since diagnosing “obesity” requires at very least a scale and a ruler, neither of which qualifies as written material. And we all know how effective eyeballing is at determining where someone falls on the BMI scale.
I'm one of the many people on this planet that are living proof that BMI is bullshit. I'm certain the diet industry is every piece of bullshit legislation behind this. They already work hand-in-hand with the food industry to induce the primal indulgence-guilt cycle in all of us. What the Mississippi State Legislature ought to be doing is passing legislation to promote physical fitness. They can start by sponsoring road races and opening user-friendly (this means all users) gyms. As for the over-30 BMI crowd: forget about dieting. Just stay away from junk food (most of the time at least) and get running. That's what I do and my doctor agrees that it's the right thing. And I'm 5'9 and *gasp* 230 pounds. Those flat-bellied delusional bastards can register for my next half-marathon and watch my fat ass jiggle as I gain distance on them, preferably between miles 11 and 13 - a classic tortoise-versus-hare scenario.

Take your BS legislation and shove it.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Liza Kate said...

I'm also proof that BMI is bullshit.

And that shame and humiliation are never effective methods for inspiring weight loss or a healthy lifestyle.

08:39  
Blogger W said...

Ya'll want proof that BMI is BS? I'm 6'1" and 285lbs. On a DEXA my BF is 15%.

I'm just a big sumbitch, from a long line of big sumbitches.

The legislation is BS, but I don't want to pay more taxes for gyms when everyone can afford to go outside and play.

I once owned a gym and I gave away 100 free memberships. Of that 100 people, 6 were still coming one year later. People should just get outside and play more, there are no excuses.

10:36  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home